P & R Minutes 6th July

MINUTES OF THE POLICY & RESOURCES COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON TUESDAY 6th JULY 2021

PRESENT: Cllrs. Beck (in the Chair), Fletcher, Gilbert, Hatcher, Kings and Smith.

APOLOGIES: Cllr. Warne.

Declaration of Interests, Dispensations and Predetermination:

Members are required to declare any interests, dispensations or predetermination on items on this agenda in accordance with the Council’s Code of Conduct. Members are reminded that changes to the Register of Interests should be notified to the Clerk.

12/21: Election of Vice Chair

Cllr. Smith nominated Cllr. Gilbert, this was seconded by Cllr. Fletcher and agreed.

13/21: Internal finance check:

Cllr. Beck confirmed the internal finance check had been completed and everything was in order.

14/21: Authorisation of payments made after the June meeting:

A list of payments totalling £14,122.94 made after the June meeting, is filed with these minutes.

15/21: Transfers of monies between accounts:

None transferred.

16/21: Invoices for Payment:

A list of payments to be made in July had been circulated for approval, a copy of which is filed with these minutes. It was proposed by Cllr. Beck, seconded by Cllr. Fletcher and agreed to approve the payments as presented.

These included:

            Policy and Resources                          £6,732.60

Properties & Burial Grounds              £4,028.78

Environmental Management               £   360.00

Economic & Community                    £   100.00

      Total       £11,221.38

Two members are required to log in to the account and authorise the payments following adoption of the minutes on Thursday evening.

17/21: Community Centres/Medical Centre:

Nothing to report.

18/21: Data protection Officer Subscription

Deferred until next meeting.

18/21: Public Toilet Provision:

Cllr. Fletcher reported that he and Cllr. Gilbert would be meeting Four Jays on Thursday to enquire about potential positioning of temporary toilets in Carriers Road. He welcomed alternative suggestions for solutions to the provision of public toilets. Opening the toilets in the Old Fire Station building was discussed and deemed unsuitable. The old dental surgery was considered as a potential position for siting temporary toilets, however the location was considered too secluded, particularly at night, and therefore susceptible to vandalism. Composting toilets were considered impractical. Reopening of the public toilet building and accepting that there will be vandalism was also discussed. The power and the water have been switched off but could be restored. This would not be a long-term solution however as the mains drain is to be shut off when building starts on Wilkes Field. Cllr. Fletcher reported that it had been necessary to employ a specialist cleaning company to remove human waste that had been discovered behind the closed public toilets building. Cllr. Kings will be enquiring about the cost to fence off the access to the back of the building. Demolition of the building is not an option at present as it has potential to be repurposed i.e., youth club building, office space for the Wilkes Field developers. Cllr. Fletcher also reported that following announcements that public toilets were to receive business rate relief, the Parish Council will be receiving a rebate from TWBC. This money can be used towards which ever solution is agreed upon. The siting of temporary toilets in Carriers Lane was thought to be the best solution at present due to the closeness to town, and the footfall in the area would hopefully deter a certain amount of vandalism. Disabled toilet provision needs considering when meeting with Four Jays, as does regularity of servicing and the design of the trailer. Cllrs. Gilbert and Fletcher will report back to Full Council following the meeting with Four Jays.

20/21: Staffing:

Nothing to report.

21/21: Grant Applications:

a) An application had been received from the newly formed Cranbrook Juniors Football Club, requesting £2000 towards set up costs for club, including, kit, training equipment, volunteer training and insurance.  The committee members were very keen to support sport for young people in the parish. It was proposed by Cllr. Smith seconded by Cllr. Fletcher and agreed to offer a contribution of £1500 towards the project. Cllr. Smith suggested the Clerk advise the applicants to approach St George’s Institute for a contribution.

b) An application had been received from Cranbrook Apple Fair requesting £3,000 towards the cost of entertainment, insurance, printing of posters and a sound system. Cllr. Hatcher had liaised with the organisers regarding potential sharing of services or equipment with other organisations, this had been considered. It was proposed by Cllr. Hatcher, seconded by Cllr. Smith and agreed to offer a contribution of £1500 towards the event. The organisers are welcome to reapply for a specific item, or if more details could be provided.

22/21: Items for Information:

None

Skip to content